Learn how to make your exterior windows look better in just a few simple steps. You’ll be sure to impress your neighbors and guests in no time!
Checkout this video:
Exterior window design
There are a few things you can do to improve the look of your exterior windows. First, consider the trim. Trim can be painted or stained to match the rest of your home’s exterior. If your window trim is in good condition, simply cleaning it with soapy water can make a big difference.
Next, take a look at your windowsills. If they’re made of wood, sanding them down and refinishing them can give them a whole new look. If your windowsills are made of stone or brick, you can clean them with a power washer or a garden hose with a nozzle attachment.
Finally, don’t forget about the glass itself. Cleaning the inside and outside of your windows will make them sparkle and will allow more light into your home. You can use a commercial window cleaner or make your own solution by mixing equal parts vinegar and water.
Exterior window styles
There are many different styles of exterior windows to choose from, and the style you select will depend on the overall look you want for your home. Below are some of the most popular styles of exterior windows.
Casement windows are attached to the frame by one or more hinges and open outward. They are a good choice for areas where ventilation is important, such as kitchens and bathrooms.
Awning windows are similar to casement windows, but they open upward instead of outward. They are often used in combination with other window types for a more interesting look.
Double-hung windows have two sashes that move up and down independently. This makes them easy to clean since both sashes can be accessed from inside the home.
Sliding windows have one or more sashes that slide horizontally to open. They are a good choice for rooms with limited space since they do not protrude into the room when opened.
Exterior window materials
There are a number of different materials that can be used for exterior windows, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The most common materials are wood, aluminum, vinyl, and fiberglass. Wood is the most traditional material and can give your home a classic look. Aluminum is more durable than wood and is resistant to rot and insect damage. Vinyl is the least expensive option and is easy to maintain. Fiberglass is the most energy-efficient material, but it is also the most expensive.
Exterior window maintenance
There are a few things you can do to make sure your exterior windows are looking their best. First, give them a good cleaning. This means washing them with soap and water and then drying them thoroughly. You may also need to use a glass cleaner to remove any dirt or grime that has built up on the windows.
Next, check the window frames and sealant for any cracks or damage. If you find any, repair them as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
Finally, take a look at the hardware on your windows. Make sure all the screws are tightened and that the handles are in good working condition. Replacing any worn out hardware will help give your windows a fresh look.
Exterior window repairs
Exterior window repairs can be a great way to improve the curb appeal of your home. Here are some tips on how to make your exterior windows look better:
1. Start by cleaning the outside of your windows. Use a garden hose to remove any dirt, dust, or debris that has accumulated on the surface.
2. Next, use a putty knife to fill in any cracks or holes in the window frame. Once the putty is dry, sand it down so that it is flush with the surrounding area.
3. If the window glass is cracked or chipped, it will need to be replaced. Carefully measure the dimensions of the window and order replacement glass from a local home improvement store.
4. Once the new glass is in place, caulking around the edges will help create a weather-tight seal. Use a putty knife to apply caulk around all four sides of the window frame, being careful not to get any on the glass itself.
Exterior window replacement
Exterior window replacement is a great way to improve the look of your home and save money on energy costs. There are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing new windows, such as the type of frame and the energy efficiency of the window. You should also take into consideration the climate in your area and the type of home you have.
The most common type of frame for exterior windows is the aluminum frame. Aluminum frames are strong and durable, but they are not as energy efficient as other materials. If you live in an area with a lot of sun, you may want to consider an energy-efficient window with a tinted glass. Tinted glass helps keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
If you live in an area with extreme weather conditions, such as hurricanes or severe winters, you may want to consider impact-resistant windows. Impact-resistant windows are made with a special type of glass that is designed to withstand high winds and flying debris. These windows can be more expensive than other types, but they will protect your home from damage during severe weather conditions.
Exterior window installation
Most often, when people think about making their home more energy efficient, they focus on the windows. It’s understandable — windows are a major sources of heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer. But if your windows are old and drafty, it might not make sense to invest in energy-efficient windows until you’ve installed new ones. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to make your exterior windows look better without spending a lot of money.
1. Check for rot. If any of the wood around your windows is rotted, replace it before doing anything else. Otherwise, you’ll just be wasting your time and money.
2. Caulk and weatherstrip. Even if your windows are in good condition, they might not be sealed properly. Check the caulking around the outside of the window frame and repair or replace it as necessary. Then, check the weatherstripping around the moving parts of the window — if it’s old and cracked, it’s probably time to replace it.
3. Add trim. If your windows are set into bare wood frames, consider adding trim around them to dress them up a bit. You can find trim at any hardware store, and it’s relatively easy to install yourself. Just make sure you use trim that’s appropriate for exterior use.
4. Paint or stain the frames. This is an easy way to give your windows a fresh look without spending a lot of money. Just make sure you use paint or stain that’s appropriate for exterior use — otherwise, it won’t last long before it starts peeling or cracking.
5 Install new hardware . Replacing tired-looking hardware is another easy way to improve the appearance of your exterior windows without spending a lot of money . Just be sure to match the new hardware to the existing holes so you don’t have to do any extra drilling .
Exterior window energy efficiency
One of the best ways to make your home more energy efficient is to upgrade your exterior windows. If your windows are old and drafty, they’re not doing a very good job of keeping the heat in during the winter or out during the summer. Replacing them with energy-efficient windows can help you lower your heating and cooling costs and make your home more comfortable all year round.
There are a few things you should keep in mind when you’re shopping for energy-efficient windows. First, you want to make sure they have a good seal around the edges so that air can’t leak in or out. Second, you want to look for windows that have low-e coatings, which help reflect heat back into your home in the winter and keep it out in the summer. And finally, you want to make sure the windows are properly installed so that they can do their job effectively.
If you’re not sure how to choose energy-efficient windows or have questions about installation, talk to a professional window company. They can help you find the right windows for your home and make sure they’re installed properly so that you can start saving money on your energy bills right away!
Exterior window security
Most homeowners focus on making the interior of their homes look beautiful, but the exterior is just as important. One way to improve the appearance of your home’s exterior is to pay attention to your windows. Here are some tips on how to make your exterior windows look better:
1. Keep them clean. This may seem like a no-brainer, but it’s important to regularly clean your windows, both inside and out. Use a mild soap and water solution, and if you have any difficult-to-reach areas, you can use a brush attachment on your vacuum cleaner.
2. Inspect them regularly. Take a close look at your windows every few months to make sure there are no cracks or chips in the glass. It’s also important to check the frames and weather-stripping for signs of wear and tear. If you notice any damage, repair it immediately to prevent further deterioration.
3. Dress them up with curtains or blinds. Curtains and blinds not only serve a functional purpose, but they can also add a touch of style to your windows. Choose colors and patterns that complement the rest of your home’s exterior for a cohesive look.
4. Add some greenery. Plants are a great way to dressing up any window, whether you have them hanging in pots or planted in the ground around the window frame. Just be sure to choose plants that are appropriate for your climate and that will get enough sunlight through the window glass.
Exterior window privacy
If you’re looking for ways to make your exterior windows look better, one option is to add privacy film. Privacy film is a thin sheet of material that you can apply to your window glass. It comes in a variety of designs, including frosted, opaque, and mirror-finish.
Privacy film is easy to apply and can be cut to fit any size window. It’s also removable, so you can take it down when you want to let in more light. If you live in an area with a lot of street noise, privacy film can also help reduce the noise coming into your home.